Here at Marloe Watch Company we have a rather large sweet spot for watches, so over the past few weeks we’ve been putting together a list of the 10 reasons why everyone should own a watch, made up of the daily musings of our team, as well as some customer feedback, take a look:
1. Convenience - nowadays the smart phone is taking over as the go to accessory for telling time, but why reach into your pocket when you can have it readily available on your wrist. This was only compounded further when a customer of ours purchased their very first watch following an accident with their smart phone - dropping it whilst trying to quickly check the time whilst late for a meeting!
2. Respect - if a colleague, friend or loved one asks you what the time is, you’ll come off better if you check your wrist, and not your pocket. There’s a certain elegance in telling the time on a mechanical wristwatch that you simply can’t replicate by delving into your pocket.
3. Compliments - if you choose the right watch (a Marloe perhaps) then you will get complimented on it, we assure you. And who in their right mind doesn’t like someone they know telling them what good taste they have!
4. Safety - we’ve all tried to pull our phone out of our pocket whilst driving to check we’re on schedule. But you can have the time right there on your wrist, which would avoid any potential run-ins with the law.
5. Craftsmanship - most watches are more than just a few numbers on a dial. The craftsmanship that goes into a mechanical watch is astonishing - with hundreds of tiny moving parts, you have an orchestra of cogs on your wrist. Author William Gibson once mused “Each one is a miniature world unto itself, a tiny functioning mechanism, a congeries of minute and mysterious moving parts. Moving parts! And consequently these watches are, in a sense, alive. They have heartbeats”.
6. Style - jewellery options for men are fairly limited, so a watch is one of the key pieces of self-expression when it comes to fashion. A watch can tell you a lot about the owners personality (sporty, adventurous, formal etc), you’ll be surprised how many people notice what you have on your wrist.
7. Heirloom - mechanical watches will last more than a lifetime if treated well and regularly serviced, so what better gift to pass on to your future generations than time.
8. Simplicity - watches were around long before electricity, so they don’t need to use the latest innovative tech. Some don’t even have a battery. When your phone dies your timepiece will be your best friend and keep on ticking. Imagine that - a mechanical machine, worn on the wrist, powered by you, to display the passing of time - a feat of such engineering marvel that we believe should be celebrated.
9. Relationship - time is the one constant for all of us, and wearing a watch makes you so much more attentive to it. Building a relationship with time is part of owning a watch, covet it. My father always said to me “Love your watch as you’ll spend more time with it than anything else”, and he was right. When purchasing a watch make sure there is potential for love to bloom, if it hasn’t already.
10. Tradition - in a digital age, a mechanical watch can be a dynamic addition to anyone’s life, bridging the gap from tradition to an enlightened future. As watches get smarter, and lives more complicated, there is a movement embracing the slow-living counter culture, going back to the simple things, celebrating tradition. So as the technology brands fight it out over who makes the smartest watch, Marloe is proudly going against the grain to create the most traditional of all watches - the hand-wound timepiece.
Comments will be approved before showing up.